Saturday, February 24, 2007

Day 187 - Waihi

Well, I'm now camping just outside of Waikino, near Waihi, in a free DOC campsite. It is another beautiful spot, running water (river), washing facilities (see previous) and a toilet (one of those composting, outdoor ones - niiice).

How I got here is a bit of a tale... I left Whangamata at about 9am yesterday and drove south, heading toward Tauranga. All went smoothly, Rodders crawled up a few of the steeper hills so slowly that I feared death by road rage, but we managed. Whizzed through Waihi, an old gold mining town, then through Katikati (great name). On the outskirts of Tauranga I took a left, heading to Omokoroa beach. A bit of a disappointment I'm afraid - although I did find a very twee cafe that served great cake and coffee (aargh, have I no willpower?).
Pootled into Tauranga about 4.00 and after some wrong turns I parked up in a shady spot the centre. First I had an internet session in a funky backpackers, accompanied by an up-and-coming band practicing their set (they were all about 17 - made me feel so oold). At about 5 I decided I'd better find somewhere to stay. Didn't really fancy parking in town, or around the suburbs (too many neighbourhood watch stickers), so I investigated Camping grounds. They were so expensive! Next I drove to a the cheapest hostel in my book, which was outside of town, and found out they charged $15 for parking in their car park. Drove around more, getting more and more fraustrated, then went back to internet place and looked up DOC camping grounds. And found Dickie Falls informal camping ground was the nearest... aaall the way back where I had come from! Anyway, to cut a long story short I worked out it would be cheaper to drive back and park a few nights for free than it would be to stay in town (especially when you take into account the shopping factor).

So, made it there before dusk. Parked in a nice spot under the trees by the falls. The place is busy, but not too busy, and the countryside around is so beautiful.

This morning I wanted to have an internet bashing, being as I am stuck in the middle of nowhere with not even a phone signal, but was reluctant to move Rodders after spending about an hour maneuvering him into his spot. I packed my daypack with some bits and set of along one of the walking tracks, the Karangahake Gorge Walk. It was v. spectacular, kept expecting the hobbits to appear floating down the river on a boat! At one point the path went through the hill, along a tunnel cut by the miners - after about 10 minutes stumbling along in pitch darkness, eyes fixed on the light at the end, I suddenly noticed lots of tiny blue lights along the ceiling like stars - they where cute little glowing things. Anyway - I walked 1 1/2 hrs to Karangahake along the gorge, another 1 1/2 hrs to Waikino along the Waitawheta river then thumbed a lift to Waihi. Will definately be retracing my steps tomorrow, I found a particularly tempting pool surrounded by waterfalls just past the tunnel.

So, I'll stay at the camping ground, living like a modern hobbit, till Monday morning, then will drive straight to Rotorua to start my yoga wwoof. It's a plan!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:28 am

    I told Stuballs to have a read. It will make him envious. LnK

    ReplyDelete