Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Day 183 - Colville

I haven't written in a while because I've been at the centre, with the only internet connection nearby in the 'town' of Colville (one shop, about 3 houses) - and that has an agonising 1/4 hr per pageload.

It's very nice here, I'm feeling very calm and ooomm. Sarah gave me a lift back on thursday, and I met Fiona, from England, who had been there a few days, and Ellie, from NZ, who had just arrived. We got on really well, and over the next few days we all mucked in with the chores, and spent the afternoons chatting away over coffee and cake in a cafe in Coromandel, or relaxing on Wahiki beach, just down the road. Sunday was Losar, Tibetan new year, and everyone took part in the ceremonies (puja, light offerings, lots of chanting). We only had one meal (part of the vows for Losar), at lunch, but we had a big feast and all scoffed ourselves silly, afraid that we wouldn't make it til breakfast the next day.

In the afternoon, a Czek couple turned up and Alice & Patrik, who's friends they were, told me they were desperate to sell their campervan as they were flighing to Samoa the next day. They were selling it for a bargainous $1500, with bed, cooking gear and body boards. I took it for a test drive (seemed ok) and bought it! I can use it to drive round the north island and then sell it in Auckland afterward for a profit. It is so nice to have the freedom to drive wherever I want!

I'm leaving tomorrow, driving across the peninsula to Whitianga. So will post an update and some piccies tomorrow!

Update: Here are the piccies as promised, ones of the van to follow...

After climbing up a huuge hill (as you can see - it's a bit windy!)



View of Coromandel Town from the top



Th peninsula coastline, north toward Colville



Lazing on Wahiki beach with Ellie (see - I do have a bit of a tan)


Fiona heads to the sea

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:53 am

    Come on Katie - we are in desperate need a piccie of the campervan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:04 am

    Agreed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:22 am

    oh my god! i'm so jealous! i want a camper van! can't believe your in nz and you've STILL got a better car than me!! x Ngaire x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:39 am

    Your car is fine Ngaire. You really fancy driving a camper van into work???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:21 pm

    i think i'd look pretty cool in a camper van actually!! x Ngaire x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:25 pm

    I can see it. Think you could really pull that off nga!!! Don't think you should make any rash decisions/purchases tho ;-)

    Sounds wicked KT. Am jealous yet again, ROAD TRIPS without me should not be allowed. boo!! xxxx ave a great time xxx
    liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:47 pm

    God the suspense is killing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ladies!
    Patience is a virtue... I'm afraid my campervan is now parked in the carpark so you'll have to wait a bit longer for photographs!!

    ReplyDelete