Thursday, February 22, 2007

Day 185 - Whangamata

OK - Last night, the first night sleeping in the van, was bordering on painful. I finally managed to find the recommended spot and settled in for the night at about 9pm (to be honest, naff all to do in Whitianga apart from sleep!). The first thing I noticed was that the 'old car' smell got stronger and stronger from the minute I shut the door and rolled up the windows, which I didn't dare open more than a crack for safety reasons. I gagged for about 20 minutes before remembering that had a spare set of earplugs (one set in my ears to block out the traffic) which, in my desperation, I actually considered using to block the overpowering smell. After some serious thought I decided not to, for the reasons a)it's a bit repulsive and b)if the cops bust me for illegal overnight parking my shame would be hugely increased by the sight of orange earplugs protruding from each of my nostrils. So I just buried my face under my liner, tried to breathe through my mouth and eventually fell asleep. The suffering was not over. At about 1am I awoke, shivering, to the discovery that Rodders, a sweatbox during the day, had turned into an icebox by night. I cursed the fact I was not carrying a sleeping bag, and had only a silk liner and a thin blanket, whilst I emptied every piece of clothing from my bag, my towel and even the teatowel, onto my bed. I huddled under the heap, and although I was still cold, I survived the night. I ended up getting up ridiculously early the next day, put on lots of clothes, and went for a jog along the beach to warm up.


Bit of a road trip today - the plan was to drive to Whangamata, visiting lots of nice beaches on the way!




First location - Cooks beach, just around Whitianga harbour. I parked up in a nice spot next to another campervan - spray painted with Gandulf and Gollum. I tested my portable cooker by making myself a cup of tea, and wondered along the beach as I drank it.


Next I went to Hahei beach, which is meant to be the best on the peninsula. The first thing I saw when I got onto the beach was a line of tractors - which I thought odd until I realised that they had boat trailers on the back. I went further up the beach until I found a nice shady spot, and spent a few hours bodyboarding in the sea and sunbathing.



I think I had a clear picture of the hot water beach in my head, because I was a bit suprised and disappointed when I realised there was no line of hot water pools with people luxuriating in them. It was just a normal beach, at least that was what I thought until I got closer to the rocks, and I saw a very strange thing - a group of about 12 people, mostly somewhat aged, standing knee-deep in water doing the twist! After some investigation it turns out it wasn't a day trip of the 50's dancing society, but the hot pools. If you wiggled your feet in the sand, the hot water would rise to the surface. I had a go, and it did, and I can see what Anna meant - it wasn't exactly pleasant, jacuzzi hot, but fresh-out-the-hot-tap hot. After 10 minutes of "aaah hothothot, eek coold, aah hothot etc." I gave up and went for a swim. Not willing to wait for the tide to go out for the pleasure of being roasted alive, I didn't hang around too long but headed of to Whangamata.

Whangamata was an ok place - bit bigger than the other towns I'd driven through, but not that thrilling. Although... I did find a hardare shop selling sleeping bags and a chiller bags (I bought one of each). I didn't fancy sleeping in town, so I had a look in my guidebook and it turns out that there was a lovely DOC (dept. of conservation) camping ground just outside Whangamata. Following the directions I drove out of town and turned right down Wentworth Rd, just past the golf club. After about 7km of windy, gravel path (about 6km of which involved lots of panic and muttering 'crap, hope I haven't missed the turn') I came to the campsite. It was beeaauutifuul. I parked up in a shady spot and had a lovely hot shower, gave smelly Rodney a bit of an airing and made dinner. Now, Rodney only has a small engine, so although he is fuel efficient, he has a bit of a problem getting up hills. On my journey I regularly acquired a long line of frustrated followers so kindly pulled over at every opportunity to let people by. Often where I pulled over there would be a tempting local vegetable barrow, so by the end of the day I had collected quite a stash of cheap delicious veg. So, anyway, getting back to the subject, dinner was green salad and corn on the cob (cooked on my stove) soacked in butter. It tasted heavenly - best & freshest meal I've had in ages (I was so proud I took a picture). I was so snug in my sleeping bag, and the place was so quiet that I slept like a baby. All in all - worth every cent of the $9 for the night.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:30 am

    Dinner looks good! This is turning into quite a road trip. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:20 pm

    If Rodders honks, it sounds like its time to have a bloody good empty out of everything and get out the bucket and mop. Also suspect anything foam or porous. Rodders previous parents might might have been a little free with their bodily fluids (hopefully just barf). Failing everything else there is the cheap tent option, but that your a bit uncertain about leaving windows open, what is your concerns here -- baddies or buggies and creapies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:54 pm

    Hi Katie

    Still following your travels with interest. Jon and I are preparing a similar adventure and have created a Katie-inspired blog. Here it is for one of your idle perusing moments when you next have one. jonandlynda.blogspot.com

    By the way, I have to agree that it sounds like Rodders needs a good clean! Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:35 pm

    urgh! don't like the sound of the first night very much but have very funny images in my head of Katie slowly chugging up hill with furious drivers behind.............

    ReplyDelete