Sunday, February 25, 2007

Day 188 - Rotorua

Aah, I'm in a holiday camping site right near lake Rotorua, it's v. posh!

This morning I look the hint and finally gave Rodders a good clean. Not having running hot water is a bit of a pain - I had to walk to the stream and back about 3 times to get fresh water, and then fire up the stove to heat it up. Anyway, I'm glad I did - you wouldn't believe how much filth came out of the foam ceiling - eeew.

After I cleaned up the van (it took a good 2 hours) I set off to Rotorua. As I had already taken the road down the coast, so decided to take a different route, cross-country along the other side of the Coromandel mountain range. I started with a Lemon & Peroa stop at Peroa, home of the famous Kiwi drink. Then I headed south, stopping off at the pretty town of Te Aroha, also Matamata a.k.a. hobbitton and another town who's name escapes my memory, but who's chief tourist attraction is a huge corregated iron sheep!

Te Aroha museum (I think), and behind Mt Te Aroha



Road trip... the back road to Matamata alonside the Coromandle mountain range

"Nasty hobbitses" - Matamaka a.k.a. Hobbiton


Giant corregated metal sheep... random



On the way down I also stopped off at Wairere Falls and hiked for about 45 minutes up a rather steep mountain to reach the lookout. Still, the view was amazing so it was all worth it.


After being obscenely hot all day it suddenly started to rain lightly as I neared Rotorua, and as I rounded the bend and the lake came into view there was a lovely rainbow over the lake. With there being nothing better to do, I followed the rainbow and ended up here,Waiteti Trout Stream Holiday Park (phew, bit of a mouthful). The owners are charming, the place is cheap, and there is a TV room and free kayaks available for paddling on the lake. No pot of gold though.

Below is my updated travel map thingy - lots of question marks because I have no idea where I'm going next!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:02 am

    Glad to hear you've cleaned Rodders, does he smell any better? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:36 am

    I was saying to Jan that this is starting to sound like a road movie. The problem is that these always have at least two lead actors. Sounds like you need to acquire a travelling companion. However, given rodders' high performance engine, did you asked the couple that you bought if off: did one have to get out and walk/push on steep hills? :-)

    With a bit of luck you might meet some nice people at the Yoga wwoof.

    BTW how is the monotonically decreasing bank balance? (Mathematicians joke for those that don't understand. Sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Rodders smells better - it's hard to tell, I'm immune to his smell now!

    I agree, another travel companion would be good (I'll save a bit on petrol at least). I'm sure I'll meet someone who can come with in Rotorua.

    ReplyDelete