Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Day 184 - On the road

Wahay, I'm on the road...

This morning I said goodbye to everyone at the centre, got some final good karma by putting together a guide to cleaning the toilet (joys) and rumbled away in my van. I put the radio on at full volume (music - how I have missed thee), the windows open and I screeched the bends all the way to Coromandel and the coffee shop, where I'm sitting now - my last cake, coffee and internet session in this funky place.

Below are some piccies from the centre (fond memories...)



Anyway... after I've spend about an hour uploading my photos and putting them on my blog, I'll hop back in the car and head off to Whitianga - the town across the peninsula. It's a cool place by all accounts, famous for it's bone carving and hot pools. I'm going to save money on accomodation by pulling up near one of the long, sandy beaches and sleeping on the bed in the van.

There's lots to do while I'm there - nearby Whitianga there are several beach with hot pools... all you do is dig a hole in the sand and it fills up with hot water, which you then sit in. A bit like a natural jacussi. It sound great - I am missing my baths so definately looking forward to languishing in a hot pool until my fingers and toes turn prune-like.

I have to be in Rotorua at the beginning of next week because I am wwoofing at a yoga studio starting from the monday. So I have a bit of a plan; to travel down the east coast and around the bay of plenty, stopping off at all the wierd and wonderful places. If I get to Tauranga on Sunday, it's just a short drive to Rotorua.

LATER....

I'm in Whitianga!

Arrived about 4pm. First thing I did was park near the km long buffalo beach, change into my bikini, grab a body board and ruuun into the sea. It was great. After a good swim I got dressed, went to the supermarket and bought bread and a towel (no need to worry about not having space - this could be dangerous). Next I got some fish and chips (back to the healthy diet) and ate them on a picnic bench beside the beach. A guy from a house across the road told me there were whales in the harbour, so I had a great meal sitting with the fresh sea air blowing trying to see whales (no bloody luck, think I need glasses). After I had finished I decided to try to find a spot to park for the night. Parking to sleep isn't technically legal, although many do it, so I spent a little while driving around trying to find a good spot. Then I decided, on a whim to zip into the big supermarket to cruise the shelves for a bit, and who should I bump into straight away but Sandra, who I met at the Mahamudra Centre! Spooky. Sandra had previously been travelling around NZ in a van also, and was able to recommend a good spot by the marina, which I am now parked in. The buddhists say that if you relax and trust in fate then things will just happen when they are needed - yet again proof that the theory works!

You asked for pictures of the van:

This beauty...


...is completely not my van (haha, had you fooled). This, in fact, is really my van:


I've called him Rodney - what do you reckon?

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:38 am

    Hi Katie,

    all my fond memories of travelling in New Zealand come back to my mind.
    I hope you dug your hottub hole near the water so that cold sea water could mix with the hot spring water.

    I could not even sit in the (undiluted)hot water for more than 2 minutes.

    Regards, Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:22 am

    Ah Rodney - well chosen name me thinks.
    Try not to get too prune like

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:29 am

    Well - you had me fooled - I was v impressed with the first picture. 'Rodney' (where did that name spring from) is not as impressive but looks like a good, hard worker. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:34 am

    Just seen the piccies from yesterday, looks really lovely there. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:10 pm

    got yourself a bit of a passion waggon there katie ain't ya?!!! Rodney's looking pretty cool - a friend for life me thinks! x Ngaire x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:36 pm

    That wouldn't be in honour of Rodneys monument by any chance???? I don't believe that means you are more likely to bear his children than any of the rest of us!!!!!! Sleep tight with Rodney ;-) (you know who)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, Rodney's monument...
    I'd completely forgotten, to be honest, the name must just be indelably lodged in my subconcious!

    ReplyDelete