Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Day 83 - Mamallapuram

Well, I'm now somewhere halfway between Pondy and Chennai. It's called Mamallapuram has a beach, lots of restaurants serving fresh fish, internet cafes and a great bookshop. Plus 3 nights accomodation costs the same as one night in the heritage hotel in Pondy. Can't be bad.

I've been here a few hours now, pottering aong and getting a feel for the place. I must admit that I feel like I'm just killing time now before flying on to my next location - Singapore - on Saturday. There are some nice shops here, but they are just selling the same stuff as the ones in Hampi, Varkala and one hundred other touristy places sell and the constant hard sell is becoming tiring. I also think I've reached saturation point for ruins and temples. This is a shame because Mamallapuram is meant to have some beautiful stone carvings and ruins that are meant to be well worth a look. Maybe I'll get an early night - lots of sleep will make me feel a bit more raring-to-go I'm sure (and there's always boost...)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:58 am

    Wow. not long to go before you leave India. It will be odd to move on won't it. Everyone has really enjoyed the virtual tour, compliments of Katie and is looking forward to the excitement of Singapore & Vietnam.
    Take a large supply of Boost with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fully intend to take as much boost as I can possibly fit into my backpack!

    Christmas... was watching Elf (I know - most awful film ever) the other night in my room in pondy, and must admit I got a bit wistful at the christmas trees and snow (not that we have much of the latter). So enjoy the holiday, drink too much mulled wine and eat too many mince pies!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:34 am

    Re boost in backpack: remember all the paranioa at the moment about what you can carry. Are you going to check yr bag? The last think you want is the customs people carrying it off before you board -- free boost for a week!

    Maybe you should just send some home as a consolation prize for when you've got back.

    [I have just zapped my last bit -- yr mum made me, because she says I'm just a BORING old fart, so you'll never know what I was going to say :-( ]
    xxx

    ReplyDelete