Saturday, October 14, 2006

Day 53 - Verkala

Last day in Verkala and the weather is glorious. I've spent most of the day sat in a german bakery working my way through their book collection and getting jittery on milk-coffee.

It is still quite quiet here in Verkala - have discovered this is mainly due to an outbreak of mosquito-born Chikungunya (or chicken-gunky disease as we call it) in Kerala. Turns out the main hotspot is Alleppey - dur, guess that was why not many travellers were there, why does no one tell us these things?! Seems the whole thing is slightly exaggerated, but they are giving the full works here - mosquito coils, zappers, nets, incense, you name it. So anyhoo, when I awoke this morning with a rash on my face and upper arms, visions of being struck down with chicken-gunky disease gave me the complete be-jeebies... until I remembered I'd bought a new wrap the day before and worn it to dinner. Yeah, guess it was washed in something that I'm somewhat allergic to (poor, sensitive me), hence rash. Whew! Narrow escape (I do have a tendency toward hypochondria when it comes to tropical diseases - let me not even start about the time I was slavered on by a skanky greek dog, and the ensuing rabies-paranoia). Good news is that Chicken-gunky is not fatal, merely excessively painful and yukky... great.

Today is party night in Verkala. Each restaurant has told us, nudge nudge wink wink, that they are having a party with live music - but sssh, it's a secret. Due to strict Keralan licencing laws, pretty much no bars or restaurants have a license - cocktails come in innocent glasses (it's fruit juice - honest) and beer occasionally, and hilariously, comes in teapots. So, I can't quite see how they're going to pull off the all-night drinking without the cops noticing, to be honest. Still, I will attend - it may be amusing!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:04 pm

    chicken-gunky disease sounds pretty unusual and also pretty, well, gunky!!

    ReplyDelete