Thursday, March 29, 2007

Day 221 - Wellington

Hurrah! I've finally made it to Wellington!

Arrived here yesterday at about 4 and spent a fraustrating hour driving round the centre of town, caught in the illogical and frankly stupid one-way system. I finally managed to find Webb St backpackers, squeezed Rodders into a vacant parking spot (power steering, how I miss thee) and checked in. The backpackers is a quiet one, not listed in any of the guidebooks, but seems nice enough - Carla and Briany, friends from Auckland, are staying there, along with assorted young males (of the non-attractive sort sadly) drawn in by the lure of free breakfast/movies every night/in-house bar. It was hard paying for a dorm room bed, and then having to share said dorm room with people (who stumble in drunken in the middle of the night), after so long having my own free room/van. But it is nice to be around backpackers again.

Today I've been busybusy. Primarily I've circulated several hostels, pinning up my beautiful flyer inducing people to buy my van (you should have seen the YHA hostel - talk about posh!). In the process of getting from hostel a to hostel b, I've had a good explore of the town, admired the architecture and so on. I like this place - it has a really good vibe and is negotiable by foot, which is a good thing for those of us with an aversion to poorly designed one-way systems.

Later on I'm going to visit the famous and, most importantly, free Te Papa - Museum of New Zealand. It has lots of info about Maori culture, NZ's history - and also boasts of a virtual bungy jump (cheaper and less uncomfortable than the real thing).

Tomorrow I'm going to an arty cinema to watch an arty film and, hopefully, selling my van (I can but hope).

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:36 am

    I am sure you will be able to sell Rodders, someone is bound to want him. We are on our last day here and not looking forward to going back, but needs must. Enjoy Wellington!!! XXX Ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:42 am

    I forgot the "old man's hat" when I came to Alonnisos, so I've been rubbing sun cream into my hair like Brillcream each morning and showering it out each night -- but the net result is that Jan says that I've actually got colour in my face / forehead for the first time since she's known me. Also the old leg muscles are starting to get really toned up -- all those bloody hills. Still it's REALLY beautiful here, but you aren't allowed to come here until you've had a proper job for at least 6 months :-P

    LnK Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:10 am

    I have a job....yay me. At Campion in Northamptonshire. Wicked cool. Som happy. Am employed and dop not have to panic and pull hair out any more! ;-)
    Liz
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:28 am

    Well done Lizzie - thats a good school too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Liz! That's v. cool. When do you start?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:40 am

    september but am going in end of june before july holiday to get sorted. when you coming to visit in Bath????
    liz
    xxx

    ReplyDelete