Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Day 98 - Ho Chi Minh

Well, didn't make it to the Mekong today (I completely overslept) - will have to go tomorrow. Instead I got a ride to the main post office to post my parcel. It cost £9 to send by airmail, and I really hope it gets to the UK before xmas - or at all!

The ride back to the hotel from the post office was somewhat of an epic adventure. On the journey to there I had spotted a street full of swimming wear shops and decided to try and get a ride there in order to get a new bikini. I explained the street, and that it was nearby, to one of the wrinkled old men perched on his motorbike. This elicited a big smile, lots of nods, and 2 fingers. OK, I think he knows what I mean - 2000? thats ok. I nod, hop on his bike and we whizz off (quite literally - this is the most crazy driver to date. Red light? Just a suggestion). 15 minutes later we are still going when we should have passed it waaay back. I decide to give up on swimwear and get him to take me straight to the hotel.
"Bui Vien"
He grins and nods, pointing staight ahead. OK, didn't think it was this far, but he seems to know best. Another 10 minutes pass and we are now leaving the city. Maybe not.
"STOOOOOOP"
Man does a (suicidal) hairpin u-turn and stops at the side of the road.
"Where are we?"
He grins and nods.
"Do you understand me?"
He grins and nods.
"You really don't understand a word I'm saying, do you?"
He grins and nods.
I march over to the hotel we have pulled up in front of. One of the guys speaks English and he gets me to write the address of where I want to go. I write the address of my hostel. He goes over and talks to the wrinkled old guy. Wrinkled old guy opens his eyes wide and chatters away in Vietnamese. Then points back the way we came and holds up 5 fingers. I look at the hotel guy for translation. Turns out the guy had no idea where I wanted to go, and just drove in a straight line out of the city (in the wrong direction), waiting for me to tell him to stop.
"He says that we are far far away from Ho Chi Minh, it will cost you 50,000 to get back there"
"FIFTY THOUSAND!!!"
Ten minutes of arguing ensue, and much scribbling on pieces of paper. 5 other people get involved in the debate and we finally all agree to a figure of 30,000 for the ride back to the hotel.
Back on the bike. An even more white-knuckle ride than before, and we are back in Bui Vien street. I hand the old boy the fare. He smiles and points to the sign, I laugh and pat him on the back. Moral of the story? Don't be vague, and don't presume you've been understood. Oh dear.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:02 am

    Well we all have to learn the hard way. You didnt get to the swimwear place then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, I'm going to go today...
    Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete