Monday, August 28, 2006

Day 6 - Rishikesh

I've up and moved downtown, I'm now in a (slightly grotty) room in the Green Hotel in the swarg ashram area (next to the Ram Jhula bridge). It's less of the backpackers chillout and more of the busy, but friendly, little area full of stalls. The post office is nearby, so I can finally send my postcards!

Today there are no clouds, and the sun is beating down, so I've been spending most of my times in cafes reading or on the internet. In between times , I have wondered about the swarg ashram area dodging the sadhus, the lady with the python, and the guy who determinedly tries to sell me bindis every time I pass. When I'm not pacing quickly away from crazy people, I've developed a relaxed, slug-slow walk that enables me to get places without turning into a hot mess (unfortunately there are quite a number of crazy people around, so it's not much help).

Below are a couple of pictures I took on the balcony of swiss cottage this morning. Internet connection is hideously slow here, so I am thinking of buying a normal camera and sending the photos home.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:53 am

    Sounds like you've forgotten the pleasures of the pre-broadband world. I wouldn't be surprised if the phone network still has a lot of analogue hops, and what will mean that you could be on a 33Kbit/s link or worse, so those 300Kbyte photos take 10-20 secs to upload and the whole interaction is really sluggush. You just have to get used to editing offline and uploading in parallel. You'll soon get used to it :-)

    Anyway, we think the blog is fantastic. Keep it up and you'll end up with a cult following. Dxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, it's good at the moment because I am spending waay to much time in internet cafe's - as soon as I get busy with the tour the entries will probably drop to 2-liners ever few days!

    Cult following, me thinks not - unless you count the Ellison lot...

    ReplyDelete