Saturday, August 26, 2006

Day 4 - Rishikesh

I leave England to go to India, and what do I get? Rain!
No, it's actually nice, monsoon is still lingering in Rishikesh and the rain falls in shorts, light bursts. A thick layer of mist permenantly hovers above the Ganges and clings to the jungle hills. The air is warm and damp and my hair constantly frizzes.

I am feeling a bit tired today, I met a funny french guy, Antoine, in the cafe last night, and we went to watch "God must be crazy" in this wacky cafe that looked like a bedouin tent. The staff were all lazing around and drinking awful scottish whiskey, and the Israili guy next to me got completely stoned and tottered off with my scarf while I was engrossed in the movie. I didn't get back till about two, so felt completely knackered this morning and to dip out of the trek to the waterfall I had arranged yesterday.

Instead I faffed around, and pottered off down the road, looking for the Madras Cafe mentioned in Lucy Edge's book. I had spotted signs the previous day, and thought it would be easy to find - no such luck! After half an hour, 5 'Madras Cafe' signs, and about a hundred rikshaws asking for a lift, I finally gave up and hopped on the next one.

I asked for the cafe, and the driver nodded and drove all the way up the hill to the top, where I had come from! He dropped me off, and tried to overcharge me! Anyway, giving up on the cafe, I walked over the amazing suspension bridge to Lacksman Jhula, found the shops, and proceeded to spend all the cash I'd brought with me (budget smudgeit, it was all so cheap!)


On a further note, after consulting LP back in my room, I discovered that I had actually managed to walk right past the Madras cafe, and was only a little distance from it I gave up - #@*#!*%$ rickshaw drivers grrr!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:03 pm

    Nice blog.
    Is it possible for u to post a picture of Ganges(view) from Bhandari Swiss Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:03 pm

    Are you not accepting comments?!! Have you ever driven a rikshaw...see if you can try and persuade a rikshaw driver to teach you...it's basically a moped...but lots of fun!! Katie the cabbie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:11 pm

    It's really nice to read your journal. One request that you might might think of if you can do it easily: any chance of uploading one or two key photos in a bit higher resolution.
    I passed you URL to Mike for Gran and the reast of the Family. I was thinking of passing it out at work to Jackie, Val, et al. So you might start to get barraged with comments and hits. Mum and Dad XX

    ReplyDelete