Friday, January 26, 2007

Day 158 - Auckland (not for much longer)

Another week gone, time flies when you are having fun!

This week has been much like the last; stripping beds and cleaning in the morning and job hunting, sightseeing and hanging around with guys at the hostel in the afternoon.

Yesterday I decided that I was sick of doing the above when I had a whole great country to explore, so I contacted a few farms in Whangerai (place up in the north) to see if I can help out for a week. One in Onerahi came back quickly, so that's where I'm going (pic below). Apparently my duties will include weeding, feeding a tractor powered mulcher, harvesting in-season fruit, general orchard maintenance, eating macadamias & fruit. I'm liking the sound of the last one!

After I work for a week or so (depending on how I like it) I'm going to do some exploring round the North bit; tramping through forests, quad biking down 90-mile beach, sea kayaking - it all sounds good.

Unfortunately the plans have already had a bit of a, urm, hiccup. I was meant to catch a 1.30 bus to Whangerai today, but unfortunately lingered too long over lunch, completely lost track of time, and totally missed it. Durr, I never change :-). Anyway, I'm going to catch a later bus at 6pm, which gets in after 8. What a palaver!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:49 pm

    Hope you managed to catch the bus in the end!! Some things are quite difficult!
    Macademias taste really boring, don't think you'll like them much.
    Apart from that I am sure you will enjoy your week on the farm.

    ReplyDelete