Sunday, September 03, 2006

Day 11 & 12 - Delhi

I'm in the smallest, grottiest internet cafe believable, in the Karol Bagh area of Delhi.

I arrived in Delhi at about 4 pm yesterday after a relatively easy journey to utterly torrential rain. Thankful that I brought my umbrella, I dashed for the nearest taxi and we sped off to Hotel Good Palace, where I would be meeting the tour group the next day. After asking about 500 people where my hotel was, the taxi driver dropped me at the hotel, sandwiched between saree and jewellery shops, in the busy shopping area of Karol Bagh. After some battle with the manager over my room price (which was 4 times that of my last room) the friendly bell boy showed me up to my room (hot water, clean sheets, room service - bliss) and proceeded to show me all 62 channels available on my TV.

After I had unpacked and settled in, it was still early, so I ventured out for some shopping... and 2 hours later I returned, exhausted, after spending all my money. The service in the shops is incredible - there must be at least one shop assistant per customer, and they all swoop in when you enter, and follow you round until you've bought more than you really need. In one shop I was hustled to the clothing section, and into the changing room. After trying on an endless number of Salwar Kameezes, I was handed an armful that passed the test, and told I "simply must buy them - perfect yaah". I bought just one, which was all I could afford with the money I had left (the shop girl was amazed at this - like everyone here she presumed that I, as a westerner, had an unlimited supply of cash). I then went back to my room and tried the clothes on again, wondered why the hell I bought them, shrugged, and ordered dinner. That evening I sat eating Sag Aloo, air conditioning blowing a gale, watching a hindi movie full of wailing girls and crying men - nice.

Today I have taken less money, and avoided the well staffed shops. I've also found a map of the Karol Bagh area so have located the ATM, this internet cafe, and the post office - where I will send some things home.

I'm meeting the tour group at 6pm, so until then here is not much to do but spend more money - sigh. Will try to be strong in face of incredibly pursuasive shop assistants.

Karol Bagh Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments:

Post a Comment